Is Samsung Watch compatible with an iPhone?
- 23 Mar, 2022
Samsung has never failed to surprise the world with its new smartwatch entries from time to time. The tech company has recently launched its next generation smart watch in two variants, the Galaxy Watch 4 and the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic Edition. There is a lot of excitement in the market around these new additions to the smart watch world. The Galaxy Watch 4 is the world’s first smart watch running on the Wear OS powered by Samsung. The watch is also powered by Samsung’s new Exynos W920 5nm chip set.
The Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 is available in 40mm and 44mm variants, while the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic Edition will be available in 42mm and 44mm variants. As far as the price of Galaxy Watch 4 is concerned, it starts around NZ $399 for the Bluetooth variant, and around NZ $699 for the Galaxy Watch 4 LTE model. These smart watches are known for distinctly minimalistic designs that are classy and equipped with powerful internals. Samsung is delivering a full package with it’s first-ever 5nm processor for improved performance, increased RAM and storage capacities, IP68 rating and optional LTE connectivity. The tech giant has successfully made Galaxy Watch 4, the most capable smart watch that Samsung has ever launched.
Samsung has always focused on making all-inclusive devices. However, regarding smart watches, there is a need to stop and consider. If you are an iPhone user, there is a big catch regarding the compatibility of the Galaxy 4 smart watch. Even though it might seem silly for an iPhone user to have a Samsung smart watch, Samsung has supported this compatibility for years. The Samsung Galaxy Watch Companion app supports previous Samsung devices to connect with Apple handsets. The Galaxy Watch 4 is the first smart watch to ship with 'Wear OS Powered by Samsung. This is a new and upgraded version of Wear OS, which means the Galaxy Watch 4 is not compatible with iPhones.
How to Connect Samsung Watch with iPhone
The journey to connecting your iPhone with Samsung Watch has always been an easy one. Some of the best Galaxy smart watches like Galaxy 3 or Galaxy Watch Active 2 allows the users to pair it with Apple handsets. Samsung has recently upgraded its Wear OS and the Galaxy Watch 4 will be using the new version, which will not let it connect with iPhones. Samsung plans to use this new Wear OS for all its smart watches going forward. This means that Galaxy Watch 4, launched this year and beyond will be incompatible with the iPhone.
However, it was previously possible to connect a Galaxy smart watch with an Apple Smartphone. The older versions of Samsung smart watches can still be used with Apple handsets and the process is not very complicated. There are a few very simple steps to connect your existing Galaxy Watch to a new Android smart phone or Apple iPhone.
- Confirm the Galaxy Watch is charged and powered on.
- Now you need to download the Galaxy Wearable app from the iOS app Store.
- Open the Galaxy Wearable application on your phone. Choose Start the Journey and then select the Galaxy Watch.
- Tap on Connect once the Galaxy Watch is visible in the application. After this tap Pair when the request to pair appears.
- In case you are unable to find the Galaxy Watch on your phone, check if the Bluetooth is turned on in the watch. Also check that it is not connected to any other phones.
- Review and check the connection and then tap Agree to the options. Next tap done and your Galaxy Watch is not connected to your app on the phone.
Pairing and connecting the Galaxy Watch to iPhones has always been this easy. The Galaxy Watch 3 can connect to iOS devices that run on iOS 9.0 and later. This means it will be available for iPhone 5 and newer models. However, there might be stability issues for iPhone 6 and 6S+ owners running on iOS 10.
According to reports and experts, it is quite easy to connect a Samsung Galaxy Watch to any iPhone. All you need to do is download the Galaxy Watch app from the App Store and establish a connection. Once connected, you should see the home screen of the Galaxy Watch app on your iPhone. It allows you to change specific settings, including notifications, music, sound and display, and more from the phone. The only feature that you really cannot use on the smart watch is the camera. This is because it does not have an in-built app, nor does the App Store on the watch have one.
Supported and Unsupported Features
The Galaxy Watch is not absolutely and completely compatible but is pretty much functional when paired with an iPhone. There is a list of supported and unsupported features when it comes to the compatibility between Galaxy smart watches and iPhones. However, most of the daily use features are compatible and give you seamless operations. It is a good pair with an iPhone, despite some missing apps and partially supported features.
- Texting:A Samsung Galaxy Watch paired with an iPhone does not support texting. The SMS tab just disappears from the Phone app and you cannot send an SMS. However, receiving a text in the form of SMS or a text from a third-party app like WhatsApp is still available. Although these texts will only be available as notifications. Even if you tap on this notification, you will not get the option to respond to the text. This feature and option to reply is available on a Galaxy Watch when paired with an Android device.
- Calling: When you connect your iPhone via Bluetooth, your Galaxy watch is completely capable of receiving and making calls. You only need to make sure that the watch is successfully paired with the phone’s Bluetooth.
- E-mail:When you connect an iPhone to a Galaxy Watch, you will be disappointed with the missing email app. It is surely bad news for people who rely on emails for their work. However, you will still receive a notification on the watch if you have received an email which can work fine.
- Notifications:Receiving notifications is one of the most important features of any wearable device. Galaxy Watch supports notifications from almost all daily use applications, like WhatsApp, Slack, Gmail, Facebook, Twitter etc.
- Sleep Tracking: Samsung Galaxy Watch has an inbuilt Sleep app that automatically tracks your sleep record. It is capable enough to recognize both REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep and deep sleep. You will be able to view the sleep data on the phone by downloading the Samsung Health app, which is available on iOS.
- Voice Assistant:Samsung has its own voice assistant called Bixby, which is also available on the Samsung Galaxy Watch. You can easily activate it and command it to do simple tasks for you. However, Siri would not be helpful when connected to the smart watch.
- Heart Rate Monitor:Just like the sleep tracker, if you want to see the details of your heart rate, you can see them on the Samsung Health app on your iPhone.
- Music:The music app on the Galaxy Watch is quite compatible with the iPhone. You only need to transfer music to your Galaxy Watch. Once the music is loaded onto your Galaxy Watch, you can listen to it offline as well.
- Fitness Tracking: Galaxy watch is known for its fitness tracking wonders, and this feature is seamlessly supported on the iPhone. You can check your daily progress and fitness reports on the Samsung Health app. There are over 30 different workout presets available on the Galaxy Watch and all of them are supported by the iPhone.
- PPT Controller:PPT controller is a unique feature offered by Galaxy watch. It is not something you would expect a smart watch to offer. If you are using a Mac, this feature is completely supported.
- Camera Access:The iOS version of the Galaxy Watch App Store does not offer any camera apps. Even for Android handsets, third party applications need to be used to access the camera.
- Find My Device:Galaxy Watch has a Find Phone application which can help you locate your iPhone. Similarly, the app on your phone allows you to ring your watch and find it.
Best place to buy Galaxy Watches
With a wide range of smart watches available in the market, it often gets confusing to choose the one that fits your requirements. Samsung has given us some of the best smart watches of all time. BuyMobile New Zealand strives to offer you the best options of Galaxy watche’s at best prices. We understand your needs and help you find the smart watch best suited for you. You can find smart watches of all variants and then pick your favorites. For this, you do not need to individually search for each smart watch at different stores. You can easily find all the latest technologies with a single click at BuyMobile New Zealand.
Galaxy smart watches offer fitness tracking, sleep tracking, heart rate monitoring, and much more. Buying an expensive smart watch can turn out to be quite heavy on your pockets. We at BuyMobile New Zealand understand the needs of our customers and have curated purchase options accordingly. You can find a wide range of all the latest smart watches including all variants of Galaxy Watches at our online store. You can also easily compare various options and make the best choice as per your requirement. We specialize in making shopping experiences easy and fun for all. It is time for you to unleash your inner fitness freak and get going.
Does the Galaxy Watch 4 have Google?
The all-new Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 is the first wearable on Google's newly redesigned and relaunched Wear OS. This launch by Samsung is set to include Google Assistant, which will make functions easier for Android users. For the users Already using Google Assistant only need to download the application on Galaxy Watch 4 and they are good to go.
Can a Samsung Watch make calls?
You can easily make and answer calls from your Samsung Watch. You only need to make sure that the phone is connected to the smart watch via Bluetooth. Once the connection is established, making calls is absolutely easy and convenient like any other mode. However, if you have an Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 LTE model, you can even handle calls remotely.
Does the Galaxy Watch 4 have a speaker?Samsung has given its users a full blown experience of wireless technology. The Galaxy Watch 4 has a loudspeaker and a microphone for making calls and other tasks. The speaker volume is adequate considering you raise the watch to your face while taking a call. The volume is also enough to listen to music on the smart watch.